The School of Medicine offers seven summer programs/fellowships for MU’s first-year/rising second-year medical students. The experiences last between four and eight weeks. Research and clinical opportunities are available. Positions are competitive and limited.
# of Slots
|Length of Program|
|Department of Medicine Summer Externship||$1,000||unspecified||4 weeks|
|High School Mini Medical School Facilitator||$2,000||8||2 weeks (24/7)|
|Summer Research Fellowships||$2,000
(plus $100 for poster costs)
|Orientation and White Coat Ceremony Leader||$1,200||2 to 3||2 weeks + summer hours|
|Springfield Summer Clinical Experience||$1,000||8||4 weeks|
|Family Medicine Summer Experience||$1,000||4||4 weeks|
Only MU students are eligible to apply for these programs. In order to be considered, you must submit an application and other requested materials via the online application system. The submission deadline is January 18, 2021, with the exception of the Summer Research Fellowship. That program's deadline is February 20, 2021. All students will be notified of their summer placements by March 15, 2021.
Students will initially apply to only one program. If you are not chosen for the program for which you initially applied, you will be contacted about applying to other programs with available openings.
Students can only complete one summer program. No exceptions.
Dates and Deadlines
- Nov. 12, 2020 - M1 Class Meeting, 12-1 pm via ZOOM
- Jan. 18, 2021 - Deadline for students to submit online applications other than Research
- Feb. 20, 2021 - Deadline for Summer Research Fellowships
- Feb. 22, 2021 - Deadline for programs to notify Med Ed of selected students
- Mar. 1, 2021 - Programs notify students of placement. Those students who do not have placement can apply for openings by submitting an application
- March 8, 2021 - Deadline for students who don’t have a placement to submit new application
- March 15, 2021 - All students will have been notified of decisions for summer programs
Note: MU medical students have MU liability coverage for educational activities while registered in courses that are officially recognized by the medical school as training experiences, including the summer fellowship courses without credit.