If you’re considering a career in medicine, we can help you learn more about the health professions through our intensive camps. If you’ve already decided on a career in medicine, our MedPrep workshops can prepare you to be a competitive medical school applicant.
High School Outreach
- High School Mini Medical School gives high school students a preview of medical school. The one-week summer program is intended for students who want to explore a career as a physician.
- Excellence in Learning is an intensive two-day medical education experience for selected high school students and teachers in St. Louis who have completed the Saturday Scholars program at Washington University. The workshop takes place in the spring and is by invitation only.
- Medical Explorations helps rising high school juniors and seniors explore various health professions. This workshop includes a two-week online component and a one-day, on-campus event.
- Mizzou Pre-Med Day is an opportunity for undergraduate students and academic advisers to learn about medical school admissions, curriculum, financial aid and career options. Participants can tour the school and talk with current students about what it’s like to be a medical student.
- Mizzou MedPrep I helps college juniors and above gain insight into what makes a well-rounded and competitive applicant through various sessions. The workshop includes individualized, one-on-one advising with a faculty or staff member. During the sessions, participants obtain a better understanding of the importance of research and community service and learn about financial aid, patient-based learning and academic preparation. Attendees also may talk with advisers and current medical students.
- Mizzou MedPrep II is a platform for college juniors and above gain insight into the AMCAS application process, enhance an individual personal statement, and the importance of securing excellent recommendation letters. Participants also complete mock interviews. This workshop includes a three-week online component and a one-day, onsite workshop.
- Mizzou MedPrep III is a workshop for students newly admitted into the MU School of Medicine. The online workshop is composed of three academic primers designed to provide students exposure to and a review of the areas of biochemistry, cell physiology and pharmacology. It also includes and enrichment primer that focuses on diversity and inclusion in health care. A student can choose one or more primers in order to prepare for the first year of medical school.
- Pathways to Success (PAWS) is a program designed to assist minority and economically disadvantaged students in building a well-rounded candidacy for medical school. Successful program participants will create a competitive medical school application and have the opportunity to interview with the MU School of Medicine for admission. PAWS is a partnership program between the MedOpp Advising Office and the MU School of Medicine.