Missouri high school students interested in careers in medicine can preview what medical school is like during Mini-Medical School. Students will stay in residence halls and eat in dining rooms on campus. We strongly encourage students from underrepresented minority groups and from rural communities to apply. Participation will be open to current Missouri high school juniors (rising seniors) graduating in 2023.
- Session 1: June 19-23, 2022
- Session 2: June 26-30, 2022
Note: All MedPrep programs are subject to the changing conditions of the Covid-19 response and may be conducted online as needed.
What Participation Includes
- Introduction to Patient-Based Learning (PBL)
- Special sessions with clinical and research specialists
- Hands-on experience in anatomy, microbiology, and clinical skills
- Meaningful interactions with current School of Medicine students, faculty, and staff
- Seminars on college and medical school application processes and life as a medical student
- Social activities (such as pool parties, trivia nights, field games, movie nights, etc.).
Expectations for Participants
- Participants are expected to stay for the duration of the program. They will not be allowed to check-in late or leave early except in cases of emergency. Camp typically runs from 3 p.m. Sunday until 4 p.m. Thursday.
- Once participants have selected a session, it is very unlikely that they will be able to switch sessions if they are no longer able to attend.
- All participants will stay in the residential hall on campus, and will be assigned a roommate.
- Students will be expected to attend all sessions and very little unscheduled free time is given throughout the week.
- Participants must follow all School of Medicine COVID guidelines and protocols as determined by the University Hospital Incident Command. Please note that these guidelines could be different from campus COVID guidelines. We will communicate the guidelines and protocols in place for the camp to accepted participants before the camp begins.
Cost to Attend and Financial Aid
The fee for Mini Medical School is $650 per session. The fee includes a non-refundable deposit, lodging and dining on campus for the duration of the camp. Some financial aid will be available in cases of financial need, and those who wish to be considered must apply. A non-refundable deposit of $50 will be due after students receive notification of acceptance into the program. The remaining balance will be due three weeks before the session begins.
- High school transcript (at least five semesters) sent by high school*
- Science teacher's recommendation sent directly by teacher*
- Test scores (ACT, PreACT, SAT or PSAT) Optional*
- Mini-Med Application
*Application materials can be emailed to: email@example.com
Or mailed to:
High School Mini-Med School
University of Missouri
Columbia, MO 65212
Important Dates for June 2022 Camps
- March 18, 2022 – Application due by midnight
- April 30, 2022 – Applicants Notified of Waitlist and Acceptance
|11 a.m.||PBL||Free Time||PBL||Lecture|
|1 p.m.||Student Panel||Lecture||Lecture||Physicians Panel|
|2 p.m.||Lecture||Lecture||Tour of Hospital||Closing Ceremony|
|3 p.m.||Check-In||Suture Lab||Simulations||Tour of Hospital||Closing Ceremony|
|4 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Suture Lab||Simulations||Tour of Hospital||Closing Ceremony|
|5 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Dinner||Dinner||Dinner|
|6 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Objectives||Objectives||Objectives|
|7 p.m.||Welcome Dinner||Objectives||Objectives||Objectives|
|8 – 10 p.m.||Social Activity||Social Activity||Social Activity||Social Activity|