Dr. Canfield's research agenda includes health promotion and equity, emphasizing women's health, particularly mental health in the reproductive period, and improving access to care. Her research program includes three overarching areas: 1) developing and implementing interventions to support the needs of women and families throughout the perinatal period, 2) exploring the efficacy of using technology-mediated interventions in health promotion, 3) engaging in health equity research prioritizing community engagement and access to care.
Dr. Canfield is experienced in health disparity and implementation science research. She has had the opportunity to work with multidisciplinary teams, resulting in successful community initiatives and health care innovations. She has contributed to numerous mixed-method research projects using information technology to improve chronic disease management and programmatic, policy-oriented or educational approaches designed to promote health equity for marginalized and underserved populations. Her current research explores ways to improve care and health outcomes for women and families throughout the lifespan by focusing on perinatal policy and health care practices.
- Perinatal Mental Health
- Patient-Centered Care
- Health Information Technology
- Implementation Science
Education & Training
2021 PhD University of Missouri
2010 MPH University of Missouri
Awards & Honors
- 2020 Fahs-Beck Fund for Research and Experimentation, New York
- 2014 Chancellor's Excellence Leadership Program, University of Missouri
Service, Volunteerism, & Professional Affiliations
- 2020-2021 Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, Awareness, and Action Committee, School of Social Work, University of Missouri
- 2015-2016 Diversity and Inclusion Committee, Family and Community Medicine, University of Missouri, Columbia
- 2012-2015 Healthy Lives – Healthy Communities Health Equity Conference Planning Committee, Center for Health Policy, University of Missouri, Columbia
- 2012-2015 Health Policy Summit Planning Committee, Center for Health Policy, University of Missouri, Columbia
- 2012-2015 Health Disparities Action Team, Boone County, MO Inclusion Institute for Healthcare, MO
- 2013-2015 Inclusion Institute for Healthcare, MO
- 2015 Health Summit, Pettis County, MO
- 2014 Health Equity Meeting Planning Committee, Kansas City, MO
- 2012 Unite4Healthy Neighborhoods Community Summit Planning Committee, Columbia, MO
- 2020-present National Association for Perinatal Social Workers
- 2020-present Council on Social Work Education
- 2020-present Society of Social Work & Research
- 2015-present North American Primary Care Research Group
- 2010-present American Public Health Association
- 2014-2015 National Partnership for Action, Heartland Regional Health Equity Council
- Canfield, S. M., Canada, K.E.
Systematic Review of Online Interventions to Reduce Perinatal Mood and Anxiety Disorders in Underserved Populations.
(In Press). Journal of Perinatal and Neonatal Nursing
- Canfield, S.M., Hsu, H., Begun, S., Barman-Adhikari, A., Shelton, J., Ferguson, K. M., Santa Maria, D., Narendorfh, S. C.,
(In Press). Examining Sources of Social Support and Depression Prevention among Pregnant Youth Experiencing Homelessness: Outcomes of a seven-city study.
Journal of Primary Prevention
- Cohen D.J., Wyte-Lake T., Canfield S. M., Steege L.M., Koopman R.J.
(In Press) Impact of Blood Pressure Visualization Tool Use on Hypertension Medical Decision Making.
Annals of Family Medicine.
- Wegier, P., Belden, J. L., Canfield, S. M., Shaffer, V. A., Patil, S. J., LeFevre, M. L., Koopman, R. J. (2021).
Home blood pressure data visualization for the management of hypertension: using human factors and design principles.
BMC Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 21(1), 1-14.
- Koopman, R. J., Canfield, S. M., Belden, J. L., Wegier, P., Shaffer, V. A., Valentine, K. D., Jain, A., Steege, L.M., Patil, S.J., Popescu, M., & LeFevre, M.L. (2020).
Home blood pressure data visualization for the management of hypertension: designing for patient and physician information needs.
B.M.C. Medical Informatics and Decision Making, 20(1), 1-15.
- Shaffer, V. A., Wegier, P., Valentine, K. D., Belden, J. L., Canfield, S. M., Popescu, M., Steege, L.M., Jain, A., & Koopman, R. J. (2020).
Use of Enhanced Data Visualization to Improve Patient Judgments about Hypertension Control.
Medical Decision Making, 40(6), 785-796.
- Shaffer, V. A., Wegier, P., Valentine, K. D., Belden, J. L., Canfield, S. M., Patil, S. J., Popescu, M., Steege, L.M., Jain, A., & Koopman, R. J. (2019).
Patient Judgments About Hypertension Control: The Role of Variability, Trends, and Outliers in Visualized Blood Pressure Data.
Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(3), e11366.