Dr. Patricia Alafaireet finds solutions that enable physicians and health providers to work more effectively.
Alafaireet investigates how clinicians can most effectively use information technology to enhance their practice. Among other topics, she studies the factors that lead to mental health in-patient recidivism (return to care). Because one in four persons needing mental health services does not receive care, a better understanding of the set of circumstances leading to recidivism could contribute to clinicians’ ability to serve more individuals.
Alafaireet has written numerous scholarly articles. Recent publications center on developing tools and processes to increase treatment adherence. She regularly presents at industry conferences and has contributed significantly to the development of standards around physician-supplied data and usability.
Additionally, Alafaireet is involved in the formulation of national policy, serving as chair of the Rural Health Community of Practice, a national group that examines solutions to rural health issues. She also directs the Missouri Health Technology Assistance Center and maintains an active consulting practice.
At the University of Missouri, Alafaireet teaches courses in decision support systems, enterprise information architecture and project management. She also serves as director of Applied Healthcare Informatics for the Health Management and Informatics Group, designing and overseeing development of technological solutions to health care needs.
Dr. Patricia Alafaireet is an assistant teaching professor of health management and informatics in the School of Medicine.
- GUI aesthetics for physician use and in the application of informatics tools to day-to-day clinical operations
- Alafaireet,P. Information Processing in the Service of Mankind and Health"
- ICICT- GUI Design Characteristics Needed for Physicians Use Pages numbers pending December 2006
- Design Flaws in Current Human-Computer Interaction-2004
- GUI Design for Health Industry Technology-2004
- Human – Computer Interaction Factors- 2004
- GUI Aesthetic Guidelines for Physician PDA Use-2002
- Alafaireet,P. Houghton, H. 17th Annual Caring for the Frail Elderly Conference. The Orizen Project- Informatics Support for Researchers, Healthcare Practitioners, Physicians and Organizations Providing Care for Our Elders. August, 2007
- Alafaireet, P. Wiles, C. World Health Congress-Innovation and Technology. Beyond Outcomes and Process Indicators: Benchmarking the Transformational. December 2007
- Alafaireet,P. Houghton, H. World Health Congress-Innovation and Technology. The Orizen Project- Devising “Practice-able” Informatics Solutions for Health Care. December 2007
- Thies, K. Houghton, H. Drobnis, E. Alafaireet, P. Mills, M, Barlet, E. Winkelmann, E. David Lake Conference- University of Missouri OB/Gyn. Identifying Factors Associated with Failure to Keep Appointments in Obstetrical Patients with Subsequent Psychiatric Illness. June 2007
- Houghton, H. Alafaireet, P. Grand Rounds (UMHC) I Know the Pieces Fit IIPsychiatric NOS Behavior. May, 2007
- Alafaireet, P. Jackson-Thompson, J. Centers for Disease Control Suggestions of Modeling Techniques for MERP Feb 2007
- Houghton, H. Alafaireet, P. Grand Rounds (UMHC) I Know the Pieces Fit IPsychiatric NOS Behavior. November, 2006
- Alafaireet. P. World Health Congress-Technology and Innovation GUI Design for Physician Use November 2006
- Alafaireet. P. World Health Congress-Technology and Innovation Mental Health NOS Risk Calculation November, 2006
- Alafaireet, P. Houghton, H. MGMA Annual Conference Treatment NonAdherence October 2006
- Alafaireet, P. Houghton, H. 16th Annual Frail Elderly Conference NOS in the Elderly Patient- August 2006
- Alafaireet, P. University HealthSystem Consortium- Benchmarking Conference DcomplX-A Practice Reporting System. June 2006
- Sivaloganathan,V. Harris, K. Alafaireet,P. Bopp,K. Fleming,D. Houghton, H. Bridging the Quality Chasm Conference Treatment Non-Adherence May 2006
- Alafaireet. P World Health Congress -Innovation and Technology DcomplXNovember 2005
- Houghton, H. Alafaireet, P. Futures in Psychiatry Conference (Emory) Treatment Adherence Drivers October 2005
- Stanley, H. Alafaireet,P. MGMA Annual Conference Data. Information and Insights August 2005
- Jindal, P. Banshu-Jindal, A. Alafaireet, P. Bridging the Quality Chasm Conference DcomplX May 2005
- Alafaireet, P. AHIMA (National Conference) Dcomplx June 2004