The University of Missouri School of Medicine aligns its definitions for diversity and inclusion with the University of Missouri System. The definitions are adopted from the Inclusive Excellence Framework, and the execution of the framework marks the university’s commitment to creating and sustaining a diverse and inclusive environment for all of its constituents.
Diversity is the various mix or combinations of human differences (e.g., personality, learning styles and life experiences) and group/social differences (e.g., race/ethnicity, class, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, country of origin, and ability. These combinations also include cultural, political, religious or other affiliations that can be engaged in the service of learning and working together.
Inclusion is the active, intentional and ongoing engagement with diversity — in people, in the curriculum, in the co-curriculum, and in communities (intellectual, social, cultural and geographical) with which individuals might connect.
The University of Missouri School of Medicine advocates for an inclusive health care and learning environment. We recognize that to achieve institutional excellence it is imperative to not only create a broadly diverse academic community but to embrace it and actively engage inclusiveness through education, opportunity and access, acknowledgement and support, organizational infrastructure and community engagement.
Our shared definition of inclusion shifts the responsibility from one person, office or entity to every person who chooses to be a part of our community. We recognize that in the creation of such an environment we not only gain personal benefit but provide a well-equipped physician workforce that is prepared to provide excellent health care to an increasingly diverse population.
As an engaged learning community, the School of Medicine will:
- Commit to a welcoming and engaging environment.
- Actively and consistently pursue a diverse and qualified community.
- Acknowledge and reward talent, scholarship and merit in an environment that derives its strength from varied societal differences.
- Value the enrichment that diversity provides to the practice and art of medicine.
Unique Perspectives Newsletter
Activities of Interest
Inclusive Excellence Professional Development Series
- Spring 2020 Curriculum has concluded
- Fall 2020 Curriculum coming soon
Programs and Initiatives
- Med Prep and Explorations
- Excellence in Learning
- Mini Med School
- Bryant Scholars Program
- Pathways to Success (PAWS)
- Summer Research Internship
- Visiting Student Diversity Program
- Women in Medicine and Medical Sciences (WIMMS)